September 29, 2010
I know that it is diametrically opposed to the typical ATG theme, but I can’t help but love the country classic “Wagon Wheel” by Old Crow Medicine Show. Call me a douchey UVa kid or what have you, but when I was first introduced to the song by my study abroad friends Chris, Katie, and Emma in Florence, I couldn’t help but love it. Something about the harmonies teamed with the banjo did it for me. Given the circumstances, “Wagon Wheel” now brings me back to a nostalgic part of my life, and I feel as though the song was created to strike that same nostalgic chord with most listeners. But I digress…
Imagine my excitement when I discover that ATG favorite Mumford & Sons had recorded a cover of “Wagon Wheel” on BBC’s Radio 2 Sessions. Imagine my anger when I realize that it was released back in late March. BUT…Imagine my happiness when I finally listen.
MP3: Mumford & Sons – “Wagon Wheel (OCMS Cover)”
2 Comments | Zack | Tagged: Country, Covers, Folk, mp3, Mumford & Sons, Mumford and Sons, O.C.M.S., Old Crow Medicine Show, Wagon Wheel | Permalink
Posted by Zack
April 1, 2009
The Cliffs of Moher in Galway, Ireland
Pardon the interruption, but I have just returned from an odyssey across Europe these past ten days. With stops in Galway, Dublin, London, and Barcelona, I had arguably the most exhilarating 10 days of my entire life. In order to accurately capture the moment, allow me to run down some knowledge I gained.
- The Irish drink Guinness.
- No, like a lot of Guinness.
- Like, breakfast, lunch, and dinner Guinness.
- Ireland is actually just green fields, black sheep, and stony hills. And that’s just fine with me.
- Dublin seemed interesting, but I didn’t get enough time there.
- London is just as I remembered it, which is a very good thing.
- The British like Kings of Leon waaaaayyyy more than we do.
- “Yeaaaaahhhhhh, your sex is on fiiiiiiiiiiyyyyrrreeee.”
- There’s a reason Ryanair is so cheap, and it’s not a good one.
- It’s really really hard to stay out until 6AM to go clubbing in Barcelona.
- But the Dow Jones Bar is worth it.
- And Opium is not.
- Katie Lehman and Emma Spear are the best travel partners ever.
That just about sums up my vacation, in case you were wondering, which you probably weren’t, since I didn’t mention I was going anywhere, I just dissappeared for over two weeks, and then wrote this, massive, run-on sentence. How about some music then?
First check out “Wagon Wheel” by Old Crow Medicine Show, who I know nothing about and didn’t care to research, although I literally melt when I hear this beautiful song, off of their 2004 release, O.C.M.S.. Not my typical style, but man is it ever heartwarming. Thanks to the aforementioned Katie and Emma for the tip.
MP3: Old Crow Medicine Show – “Wagon Wheel”
Second, check Kings of Leon’s “Sex On Fire” which you have undoubtedly heard before, but since I heard it maybe 50 times in Galway and London, I figured I might share again.
MP3: Kings of Leon – “Sex on Fire”
ALSO, FOLLOW US ON TWITTER PLEASE. I know, we gave in. Get over it.
7 Comments | Zack | Tagged: Barcelona, Ireland, Kings of Leon, London, O.C.M.S., Spring Break, Updates | Permalink
Posted by Zack